Sunday, November 30, 2008

How I got the flu.



I wish I had a better story to tell you. Like how I captured Osama Bin Laden, but I dont. This is how I got the Flu.

"Tango 56, Bravo 21"
"Tango 56, go ahead Bravo 21"
B21: "Halt the convoy, a tire fell off the flat bed."
T56: "Rodger Bravo 21, we will pull security while you retrieve the tire."
B21: "Rodger."

This is how my day started while I was going to another base to work on some equipment. Some one with the rank of Private didn't secure an extra tire to the flat bed truck. We sat in the middle of the road ready to start shooting at any cars that decided to get to close to us. 35 minutes later the tire was secured and we went on our way.

This was a resupply mission that I was tagging along with, and let me tell you, resupply missions are not that fun. We drove to 5 different bases that day, and I only needed to really go to one of them. So my chances of getting blown up and or shot drastically increased. So to pass the time I put on the headset and started cracking jokes to the other passengers in my truck. You would not believe some of the crap they talk about. I mean its some of the most ridiculous stuff I have ever heard in my life. Everything from past missions to how to milk cows and the differences between cow milk and beer. And some other graphic stuff that I wont mention.

After I spent 10 hours in this truck with a few other smelly people in it we were home. The convoy commander asked me if I would mind helping take out this big equipment box and move it indoors.

"Well LT, since you were so kind to drive me around today for 9 more hours than I needed, NO!"
LT: "Come on, we only have 3 guys here and im just a small fragile little girl"
Me: "Its raining out there, I dont want to get sick, you joined the army you do it."
LT: "Please, its really heavy and I cant lift it."
ME: "Hey thats the beauty of equal rights, you can do anything I can."
LT: "Ok, how about next time we roll out I let you drive."
ME: "Hmmm, alright, but throw in a case of Gatorade too and you got a deal."
LT: "Deal."

After I put all my computers inside so they wouldn't get soaked I walked back outside in the poring down rain and went back to where we were parked... And you guessed it, the trucks were gone. Now I don't know if this was some kind of sick joke or what. Maybe she was mad at me for making fun of her earlier in the day. I'm not really sure but I walked almost 1 KM to get back to my room. In the rain. And this wasn't normal rain. It was dirty sand and anthrax laced rain. It was literally raining mud from all the dust in the air.

Fast forward through a bad nights sleep and here I am. Temperature and all. Thanks LT, thanks a lot.

I still don't have my Gatorade...

4 comments:

Haley Family said...

Who is that a picture of on your blog? Unless you got a face transplant and did not tell us.

Brad said...

I Google "flu" and it came up. I wish i had his bed though. it looks really comfy.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness...so it's not your face...I thought maybe you weren't joking from the previous blog about falling on your head! Whew!

Sounds like you are learning a lot on the resupply missions...especially in the area of cows. This could be important later...maybe. Be nice to LT...she may not have a sense of humor and a long memory. Hope you get your gatorade. Get better quick!!

The Lively- Castleberry Family said...

Poor girl. I would have left you too! What happened to the Southern gentlemen? What kind of reputation are you giving Texan men?